Why Our Approach to Care Management Is Different: Our Experts
Health Catalyst offers more than just a suite of care management products and tools that improve patient care, reduce costs, and maximize ROI. When we partner with healthcare organizations, we transfer our decades of care management knowledge and experience to the care teams responsible for improving patient outcomes with our tools; we equip the healthcare leaders accountable for demonstrating care management program ROI with our expertise. Our approach to care management is as much about our people as it is our products.
"Patients that are high cost and high risk are complex. They often require coordination of care across multiple services, programs, and facilities. For example, this may be someone you know. Some patients will need help coordinating ambulatory visits to primary and specialty physicians, ED visits, hospital and skilled nursing facility admissions, plus they may need help coordinating transportation, financial services, and a multitude of other services that need to be coordinated just to keep them out of the hospital, much less, improve their quality of life."
Engaging patients and clinicians.
Engaging patients isn’t easy; it requires creativity and communication strategies that work (not difficult-to-use patient portals that patients dread using).
Complex (but important) patients.
Effective care management desperately depends on access to disparate data, from within and outside health system walls. And when it comes to your most complex patients, data is even more complicated. We know how hard it is to turn that volume into value.
Care management is one of the many pillars of an effective population health strategy. We know it’s challenging to parse out the ROI effect of care management alone.
Prolonged time to ROI.
Care management improves patient care and experience upfront, but we understand it takes time to demonstrate ROI.
"Overall participation in its [Partners Healthcare’s] care management program was associated with a reduction in Medicare spending of $101 per participant per month, a decline of 6 percent."
- Partners HealthCare
- Culture is king: engage your stakeholders.
- Care management doesn’t work in isolation. All care team members must be engaged in the care management process: ED nurses, front desk staff, outpatient pharmacists, etc. Our experts help you get this buy-in and the adoption of best practices.
- Make sense of the mess: turn volume into value with analytics.
- Our analytics platform reigns in multiple data sources, leverages real-time information, and supports patient engagement, so you can build and refine care management programs that show cost savings and improve care. Health Catalyst is particularly highly rated by KLAS Research for its data aggregation.
- Match the right patients to the right programs.
- The foundational step in targeting high-risk patients for care management is identifying them. We’ve mastered the risk stratification process of separating patient populations into high-risk, low-risk, and rising-risk groups, and we’ve streamlined the patient intake process.
- Build meaningful care team relationships—and make communicating easy.
- Engaging patients and their families starts with meaningful, trusting relationships between all care team members. Our care companion mobile app makes it easy for care managers to communicate with physicians and quickly respond to patients in real-time, which can mean higher patient satisfaction, better care team engagement, and fewer inappropriate ED visits and unplanned admissions.
- Make it easier for care managers to manage caseloads.
- Our care coordination mobile app improves the continuity of care by making it easy for care managers to prioritize daily activities, freeing them up to travel to team meetings, patient homes, or facilities.
- Measure your care program’s impact.
- Measuring your care management program’s impact is one of the hardest pieces of the care management puzzle. Our tools and consulting services tell you where your program is succeeding and where it can improve.
- Take the long view of program success: cost savings on the road to ROI.
- Showing a positive ROI for a care management program can take years. Our care management experts help you identify quick wins and early cost savings (e.g., a reduction in ED utilization can be a source of significant savings within the first year of a program’s start).
- Keep current with care management best practices, trends, and clinical content.
- Our experienced clinical team continuously publishes care management best practices, evidence-based research, and clinical content to make sure your care managers stay ahead of the trends-and-best-practices curve.
Regardless of the stage your care management program is in (just beginning or ready to be evaluated), our care management approach, products, and consultants can help you launch, advance, and measure your efforts to improve care for your most complex patients.
"Even the most well-structured care management program will not lead to better care in isolation. Strong data analytics are needed to pick impactable patients—to determine who will most benefit from the extra attention and support that care management provides. It’s all about picking the right patient at the right time. All patients, including the most complex patients, want to be healthy and at home; it’s the job of targeted and data-driven care management to facilitate that goal."