The long-term success of healthcare performance improvement relies on a sustainable infrastructure and strategic execution. Otherwise, improvement initiatives risk becoming one-off projects that don’t support ongoing advances in critical areas, such as critical areas, clinical outcomes, patient experience, and organizational cost.
Healthcare organizations can follow six steps for a sustainable, impactful performance improvement program:
1. Integrate performance improvement into strategic objectives.
2. Use analytics to unlock data and identify areas of opportunity.
3. Prioritize programs using a combination of analytics and an adoption system.
4. Define the performance improvement program’s permanent teams.
5. Use a best-practice system to define program outcomes and interventions.
6. Estimate the ROI.