Improving the management of chronic diseases for patients is crucial for reducing expenses and improving health outcomes. Newton-Wellesley Hospital, a member of the Partners HealthCare system, adopted the population health coordinator role and utilized analytics to help identify variations in chronic disease management across practices and develop standardized best practices aimed at reducing costs through better outcomes for patients.
- Improved effectiveness of diabetes management:
- 6.9 percent more patients with diabetes whose hemoglobin A1c was within the recommended guidelines.
- 4.6 percent more patients with diabetes achieved hypertension control.
- 8.5 percent more patients with diabetes whose cholesterol was controlled within the recommended guidelines.
- Improved effectiveness of cardiovascular management:
- Six percent more patients with hypertension achieved blood pressure control.
- 7.7 percent more patients with high cholesterol whose cholesterol was controlled within the recommended guidelines.
- Newton-Wellesley has also achieved a 16.1 percentage point increase in the adult prevention composite score.