For patients, safety in hospitals and health systems remains a serious concern as medical errors are now the third leading cause of death in the U.S. Determined to improve patient safety, Allina Health turned to predictive analytics to standardize and expand safety event reporting.
- Successfully identified more safety events than were identified by voluntary reporting alone.
- Uncovered opportunities for improving patient care.
- Further improved the identification of near misses in addition to safety events.
- The analytics application has provided the ability to organize data by multiple factors such as severity, location, and harm type, which could not be done before.
- The committee also gained a systemwide view of performance with standardized definitions, and up-to-date information much closer to real-time data than what was previously available.