Effective practice management includes tracking and reporting patient outcomes, and effectively managing revenue cycle, as well as keeping an eye out for market changes and growth opportunities. Well-managed practices effectively balance supply and demand on a daily, weekly, and long-term basis, actively managing encounter volume, panel size and scope, timeliness of available appointments, and payer mix.
John Muir Health faced challenges in obtaining data that would provide leaders with strategic decision support information that fostered effective practice management. John Muir Health had attempted to use its EHR to obtain this information, but discovered it was unable to meet the complex demand. As a result, the organization relied on burdensome manual work processes, resulting in delays and a backlog of data requests, and limited ability to make well-informed, data-driven decisions.
After leveraging the information within its data warehouse and analytics platform to create a network leadership encounter application, John Muir Health acquired the following capabilities:
- All leaders have on-demand access to performance data at multiple levels from the organization-wide performance down to the patient and provider level.
- Senior leaders are making data-driven decisions for strategic responses across John Muir Health to shifts in market, growth opportunities, and emerging markets.
- The regional management teams are using the application to inform:
- Daily operations.
- Encounter processing
- Patient access
- Budget variances.
By leveraging these new capabilities, John Muir Health has achieved:
- Transparency of the data and accountability of the regional management teams for key performance indicators
- 14 percent improvement in completed physician encounters, resulting in faster revenue capture, when compared with the previous year.
- Eliminating the encounter-associated report backlog.