Cloud-Based Open-Platform Data Solutions: The Best Way to Meet Today’s Growing Health Data Demands (Executive Report)
Smartphone applications, home monitoring equipment, genomic sequencing, and social determinants of health are adding significantly to the scope of healthcare data, creating new challenges for health systems in data management and storage. Traditional on-premises data warehouses, however, don’t have the capacity or capabilities to support this new era of bigger healthcare data.
Organizations must add more secure, scalable, elastic, and analytically agile cloud-based, open-platform data solutions that leverage analytics as a service (AaaS). Moving toward cloud hosting will help health systems avoid the five common challenges of on-premises data warehouses:
- Predicting future demand is difficult.
- Infrastructure scaling is lumpy and inelastic.
- Security risk mitigation is a major investment.
- Data architectures limit flexibility and are resource intensive.
- Analytics expertise is misallocated.