Improving patient satisfaction scores and the overall patient experience of care is a top priority for health systems. It’s a key quality domain in the CMS Hospital Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program (25 percent) and it’s an integral part of the IHI Triple Aim. But, despite the fact that health systems realize the importance of improving the patient experience of care, they often use patient satisfaction as a driver for outcomes. This article challenges this notion, instead recommending that they use patient satisfaction as a balance measure; one of five key recommendations for improving the patient experience:
- Use patient satisfaction as a balance measure—not a driver for outcomes.
- Evaluate entire care teams—not individual providers.
- Use healthcare analytics to understand and act on data.
- Leverage innovative technology.
- Improve employee engagement.