With improvement science combined with analytics, health systems can better understand how, as they implement new process changes, to use theory to guide their practice, and which improvement strategy will help increase the likelihood of success. The 8-Step Improvement Model is a framework that health systems can follow to effectively apply improvement science:
- Analyze the opportunity for improvement and define the problem.
- Scope the opportunity and set SMART goals.
- Explore root causes and set SMART process aims.
- Design interventions and plan initial implementation.
- Implement interventions and measure results.
- Monitor, adjust, and continually learn.
- Diffuse and sustain.
- Communicate Quantitative and Qualitative Results.