Healthcare payers today must develop new business models to address the industry’s mounting challenges around cost, access, and quality. The best emerging models are simple and aligned, accommodate all stakeholders’ needs, and center on the patients/members. Five key payer opportunities provide a framework for new models that will support the healthcare transformation goals of lower cost, better quality, and increased access:
- Understand the impact of the Affordable Care Act.
- Be ready for potential shifts due to regulatory impacts.
- Understand how social determinants of health impact members.
- Focus on provider relations.
- Prepare for future trends.