Health Catalyst® Cloud Services
Health Catalyst® Cloud Services positions your organization to avoid the distractions of internal hosting, allowing you to focus on patient care and outcomes improvement. We customize cloud-based data hosting and maintenance to fit the individual client situation. We deploy a suite of software and hardware to host your data and provide storage, all while assuring healthcare-data-quality security. We assign a sustained, focused team of database administrators and systems analysts for personalized consulting services all backed up by detailed, salient reporting.
More substantially, Health Catalyst requires only 7-10 days to “standup” a Health Catalyst Cloud. Compare this to a DIY installation, which can take 6-12 months (or longer) to deploy. Consider the opportunity costs for DIY implementation—the time not spent on other cost-saving ventures in your area of expertise—and it’s easy to see how we can position you to quickly realize value by investing in data hosting with us. Furthermore, the pure financial costs for DIY implementation could easily exceed third-party cloud hosting over time, as technology changes or eventually breaks down.
What types of problems do the Health Catalyst Cloud Hosting Services address?
- Health Catalyst can stand up our software in a controlled environment that we are responsible for
- Takes burden of IT infrastructure off of the customer
- Allows faster time to market, avoiding the typical lengthy procurement processes that a healthcare organization may go through when trying to get new hardware to build out its data infrastructure
- Health Catalyst offers the full range of services for cloud hosting: hosting customer data, storage, consulting services, reports
- Reports on how the customer system is being used and how frequently. Drilldown to low level detail; information on customer infrastructure that applications are running on, number of servers, CPUs, storage requirements, uptime, downtime, how long it takes Health Catalyst to maintain environments
- Consulting: Health Catalyst database administrators work within the hosting environment; customer doesn’t need their own database administrator to use the Health Catalyst software
- Health Catalyst can assist in training customers on efficient query writing, and how to maintain our system
- Health Catalyst offers reduction in customer operating expense budget, because we are doing 80-95% of what happens in a data center. Customer IT resources can be deployed to other high profile initiatives in the organization and we can handle the IT management of the customer’s hosting infrastructure.
Fast Time to Value
Health Catalyst manages everything that you normally would and delivers additional services that ensure quick utilization and flawless performance:
- Licensing of the database server
- Hardware requisition, procurement, and installation
- Support team of database and system administrators; no need for you to hire IT staff
- Consulting services
- HIPAA-compliant security
- Configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance
- Comprehensive reporting
- 24/7 infrastructure support
With Health Catalyst providing this work, we know the environment and security structure, which makes it very easy for us to deploy. What’s more, when it comes time to upgrade the cloud platform, we know what to look for if we’ve done the original installation.
Unlike other service providers, Health Catalyst doesn’t provide cloud services for just anyone. We focus on healthcare organizations that require very specific security measures. We understand that clinicians need to be clinicians, not data report writers or database administrators. Our services are flexible, adaptable, and scalable to meet your needs, regardless of the size of your organization. Health Catalyst Cloud Services are specifically designed to maximize the benefits of healthcare organizations using our software so you can focus on what you do best, improving the cost and quality of care.
All hardware is hosted in a SSAE No. 16, ISAE No. 3402, SOC 1 Type I, SOC 2 Type II data center.1 You control security for your own users, while our security model attaches to your existing security infrastructure. When a user leaves your organization and his or her access is discontinued, the information is automatically carried over to the hosting environment. The only way to get to your data into our hosting environment is through your organization or a specific Health Catalyst employee with a separate logon (different from a Health Catalyst computer logon) and two-factor authentication2. All data is transmitted through VPN tunnels, encrypted, with zero external access (no web services or webpages).
Health Catalyst conducts weekly database integrity checks on data warehouses, where we restore a backup of your database. We assist with refreshes of your development environment, so you have the latest data for building visualizations.
Furthermore, Health Catalyst belongs to the National Health Information Sharing and Access Center (NH-ISAC), one of the largest organizations in the U.S. that monitors threats to data centers such as ours, tracks the latest on PHI threats, and helps us avoid them.
1SSAE – Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements. ISAE – International Standard on Assurance Engagements. SOC – Service Organization Controls. Each are various internal information security standards.
2Two-factor logon requires username, password, and a randomly-changing pin number. Only Health Catalyst employees who are working on your account have access.
Who Is This For?
- Physician practice groups
- Customers with limited capital expenditure available
- Customers with a small IT department
- Customers with other large, strategic IT initiatives coming up in the same timeframe as the EDW
- Customers with specific timeframes for meeting quality and cost metrics and need to get started immediately
What Problems Does It Solve?
- Rapid response: delivers a secure hosting solution within 7-10 days
- Overcomes lengthy hardware scoping, budgeting, and procurement cycle issues
- Allows customers with limited resources—IT department, budgets, time—to quickly gain value from their data hosting service
- Improved uptime
- Flexibility: customer retains control to their level of preference
- Optimized utilization: no wasted expense on unused storage
- Hosted data storage
- Health Catalyst products configured as Platform/Software as a Service
- Risk mitigation: Health Catalyst sets up, configures, maintains, troubleshoots, and secures the assets in use
- Customer Service Desk
- Detailed reports on system up time; capacity planning and projection measures; network bandwidth utilization; number of tickets submitted and closed
- Microsoft technology stack
- Utilizes SSD and rotational disk
- Isolated virtualized environments secure your data from other customers
- Next gen firewalls
- Site-To-Site client connection
- All hardware is hosted in a HIPAA compliant, SSAE16, ISAE 3402 Service Organization Control (SOC) 1 Type II, SOC 2 Type II data center
What you can expect from our Cloud Hosting Services
- Time to value: standup infrastructure within 5-7 working days
- You turn over the responsibilities to an experienced, professional team that takes on the associated risks
- Security consultation services
- Safeguards that come with Health Catalyst’s involvement in the nationwide healthcare information security sharing committee
- You maintain preferred levels of control
- Utilizes your existing security policies and controls
- Pulls disparate sources of information into a single, customized view
- System up time
- Capacity planning and projection
- Network bandwidth
- ISAE 3402 Service Organization Control (SOC) 1 Type I
- SOC 2 Type II software certifications
Read More About Cloud Services
Hosting data in the cloud is a hot topic in the IT world, and now health systems are starting to embrace the technology, since it’s secure and HIPAA-compliant. While it’s not suitable for all organizations, many will benefit by using cloud hosting for their EDW. This article will explain the pros and help you understand if your organization is a good candidate.