Recover From COVID-19
Begin efforts to adapt operations and restore a sense of normalcy to people and the system.
Patient Safety Monitor™ Application: Public Health
Leverage Health Catalyst’s DOS™ platform for enhanced biosurveillance monitoring and analytics of patients at the initial point of patient contact with the healthcare organization:
- Identify and flag unusual symptom/clinical test patterns that could represent illness.
- Respond quickly to aid in an effective public health response and management infectious agents.
- Enable hospital epidemiologists and infection control personnel to perform local, rapid, and preliminary assessments of patient-level clinical data and determine whether that information is significant to their healthcare system’s biosurveillance programs.
COVID-19 surveillance triggers belong to the Patient Safety Monitor™ Application’s newly released public health unit; these are additional to triggers previously released as part of the all-cause harm unit.
Patient Safety Launch Solution: COVID-19
Launch a rapid response to emerging patient safety and public health challenges. Highly configurable and fast to deploy, the Patient Safety Launch Solution is a slimmed-down, tactical version of our full Patient Safety Solution. It includes the COVID-19 triggers in our public health unit and leverages data from numerous source systems in your healthcare system—EHRs, laboratory information systems, and more—to support your efforts to:
- Surveil and analyze clinical data to aid in situational awareness.
- Recognize patterns in signs and symptoms that may help identify cases and yield insight into COVID-19’s presentation and course.
- Conduct differential diagnosis of emerging infections.
The module allows for automated detection and analysis at both the patient and population-levels.
Touchstone® COVID-19 Registry and Insights
Track and understand confirmed COVID-19 patients—and identify suspected cases—to provide robust insights about diagnoses and severe COVID-19 related outcomes. Proprietary algorithms and terminology value sets paired with expert consulting have supported a number of valuable use cases:
- Assess the potential benefits of medications, such as hydroxychloroquine.
- Evaluate care pathways associated with common COVID-19 drugs using custom analytics and a “plug and play” framework.
- Leverage insights about diagnostic journeys, symptom presentation, treatment landscape, and outcomes assessment to evaluate the patient journey.
- Characterize patients using rich demographic data such as age, race, ethnicity, and geographic location, in addition to information about comorbidities and medical history.
Touchstone includes deidentified data from 80 million patients across the United States to enable population-based research and derive insights about surveillance, testing, capacity planning, and treatment response. It includes tracking data from three national sources—Johns Hopkins University, the New York Times, and The COVID Tracking Project—enabling data analysts to dig into the data not only from within their healthcare system, but also from across the country. Paired with the national COVID-19 registry, Touchstone enables deep understanding of COVID-19 treatments and outcomes.
Staff Augmentation Support
Leverage Health Catalyst team members as an extension of our clients’ teams–trained analytics, data science, and domain-expert team members are ready to support them in their response to COVID-19.
Staff Augmentation Support additional services are offered to all Health Catalyst clients at a discounted rate through the end of 2020.
Rapid Response Analytics Solution™ for COVID-19
Use our Rapid Response Analytics™ software suite to drastically increase the speed, accuracy, and responsiveness of your analytics organization by up to 10X in fast turnaround situations like the current COVID-19 crisis.
- Quickly access pre-built, curated, reusable data content (DOS Marts™) that includes continually updated COVID-19 codes and value sets.
- Readily add data not yet available in your source systems using our Instant Data Entry Application (IDEA).
- Rapidly build COVID-19 disease registries with our easy-to-use Population Builder™ application for use in focused analyses and reporting.
- Easily create, visualize, share, and monitor COVID-19 dashboards using our Leading Wisely® application.
See our latest Rapid Response case studies demonstrating quick analytics turnaround for the COVID-19 crisis.
Related Case Studies
HIE Public Health COVID-19 Surveillance Report
Enhance your health-department reporting by leveraging existing community data assets and public health relationships:
- Access real-time counts of COVID-19 tests, results, admissions, and discharges.
- Facilitate hot-spotting based on patient demographics (ZIP code/address).
- Support an understanding of positive, negative, and canceled results.
This near real-time report aggregates the data from all connected hospitals in the state, complementing existing data collection efforts and reducing the administrative burden on individual health systems.
Related Case Studies
Financial Impact Recovery: Ambulatory
Understand the financial, provider, and patient impact of COVID-19-related declines in ambulatory visits; prioritize ambulatory visits based on provider and patient safety, financial impact, and provider availability:
- Prioritize the outpatient visit backlog (strategic and financial importance, visit type, location, etc.).
- Gain visibility into outpatient visit trends by volume, revenue, department, visit type, and more to help plan recovery.
- Track volume of telehealth visits relative to all visits to monitor shifts in delivery.
- Use scenario planning to assess the impact of scheduling changes, payment assumptions, visit type mix, and more on providers and patients.
The Ambulatory application helps healthcare systems recover from the provider and patient toll and the revenue loss of COVID-19 outpatient visit cancellations. At a glance, you can identify ambulatory care that will keep providers and patients safe and drive revenue. In-app tracking enables you to monitor your progress as your providers treat the backlog of patients and recover lost revenue.
Related Case Studies
Financial Impact Recovery: Elective Surgery
Understand the financial, provider, and patient impact of COVID-19-related declines in elective surgeries; prioritize surgeries based on provider and patient safety, financial impact, and provider availability to deliver the care patients need:
- Prioritize the surgery backlog (strategic and financial importance, procedure, location, etc.).
- Gain visibility into procedure trends by revenue, department, location, and more to help plan recovery.
- Use scenario planning to assess capacity and financial impact.
The Elective Surgery application helps healthcare systems recover from the provider and patient toll and the revenue loss of COVID-19 surgery cancellations. At a glance, you can prioritize surgeries that will keep providers and patients safe and drive revenue. In-app tracking enables you to monitor your progress on the road to treating the backlog of patients and recovering lost revenue.
See our latest Financial Impact Recovery: Elective Surgery case study demonstrating quick analytics turnaround for the COVID-19 crisis.
Related Case Studies
Financial Impact Recovery: Revenue Cycle Launch
Offset the impact of COVID-19 on revenue—begin to strategically recover revenue while focusing on patient billing accuracy:
- Create actionable worklists to capture revenue and accelerate cash flow by focusing on basic operational gaps (missing/late ambulatory charges, high-dollar aged accounts receivable, point-of-service collections).
- Track the financial impact of uninsured COVID-19 encounters.
- Hold payers accountable to COVID-19 reimbursement changes, such as reduced patient responsibility and increased reimbursement.
The pressure of COVID-19 has amplified the need for visibility into revenue capture and cash acceleration. The Revenue Launch application provides targeted insights for revenue cycle operations and enables analysts to create patient-level worklists focused on the greatest opportunity for revenue recovery. Revenue cycle leadership can monitor opportunities and track progress of revenue recovery over time.
CORUS™: Activity-Based Costing for COVID-19
Track the increased costs associated with pandemics like COVID-19 and identify the appropriate expenses for FEMA reimbursement opportunities:
- Gain visibility into costs related to COVID-19 in real time.
- Understand the overall impact of COVID-19-related costs—allocate costs to patient-facing categories and inpatient units.
The CORUS: Activity-Based Costing application helps healthcare systems recover from the healthcare system and patient toll of COVID-19-related costs. At a glance, you can track the additional expenses related to overtime, extra PPE, equipment purchases, and more related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Improving Population Health: Rapid Identification of Patients at Highest Risk of COVID-19
- Deployed a COVID-19 risk model in just a few days, assigning risk scores to 125,000 members.
- Within weeks, teams in each market connected with more than 50 percent of the patients at highest risk for COVID-19.
- At one partner location, telehealth now comprises nearly 70 percent of visits. The partner went from zero telehealth visits in the first 11 weeks of 2020, to more than 2,200 telehealth visits in weeks 12 and 13.
Data and Analytics Helps Deliver Safe Care During the Pandemic
- Within three weeks, developed multiple analytics solutions to meet varied organizational needs.
- Integrated data and analytics, and COVID-19 specific metrics for more than 200 patients with COVID-19.
- Hundreds of hours of manual data collection avoided.
Integrated Data and Analytics Critical for COVID-19 Response and Recovery Planning
- Visualization of all critical data elements required for effective incident command—in the EMR and the incident command dashboards.
- Data consistency across all visualizations.
- Several hundred hours of burdensome manual data collection and review eliminated.
Prioritizing Outreach for Care Coordination Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Just three weeks after the governor of Vermont declared a state of emergency, released a COVID-19 care coordination tool, applying the risk criteria to approximately 190K patients.
- More than 500 cumulative sessions logged in the application across OneCare Vermont’s network.
- Indicators of social complexity were included in the tool.
Integrated Data Platform Improves the Effectiveness of State-wide COVID-19 Surveillance
- In just two weeks, implemented a COVID-19 reporting solution, enabling robust state-wide surveillance for public health purposes.
- Dramatic reduction in the time required to implement robust public health reporting.
- Integrated COVID-19 surveillance data and analytics for more than 150 hospitals and two large diagnostic companies.
Virtual Visits and Analytics Enable Continued Delivery of Ambulatory Services During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Nearly 70X increase in the number of telehealth visits—in just two weeks. Approximately 11,000 weekly virtual health visits.
- 64 specialties providing virtual health visits—nearly 2,000 providers have completed a virtual health appointment.
- Successfully maintained pre-COVID-19 visit volumes.
Improving Population Health: Data-Driven Approach to Identifying and Engaging Patients with High Risk of Mortality from COVID-19
- Developed and deployed the algorithm for COVID-19 risk for mortality within four days. The algorithm was applied and visualized on MemorialCare’s entire ACO population.
- Within one week, the algorithm was expanded to include MemorialCare’s entire HMO population.
- 66 percent of individuals in the extremely high-risk category of MemorialCare’s ACO population were engaged by care management.
Responding and Recovering in Clinic Operations with Advanced Analytics
- In just one week, deployed integrated dashboards for managing clinic capacity, visit volume, COVID-19 mobile appointments, and telehealth appointments.
- Supported the shift of telehealth from a supplement to a primary modality, allowing its customers to lay the foundation for more comprehensive and available virtual care.
- Provided the data and analytics critical for both the ongoing management of the clinical realities of the COVID-19 pandemic, and business redesign to drive financial recovery.
Virtual Care Analytics Supports Rapid Change in Ambulatory Care Delivery
- In just one-week, deployed COVID-19 virtual visit scenario planning.
- Virtual visits now comprise more than 80 percent of all visits—40K visits in just one month.
- Efficient prioritization of the ambulatory visit backlog.
Analytic Insights Help Drive COVID-19 Financial Recovery Plan
- Integrated analytics, enabling the organization to develop a long-term surgical financial recovery plan.
- Hundreds of hours of manual data aggregation and evaluation avoided.
- Efficient prioritization of the elective surgery backlog.
Analytics Accelerates COVID-19 Elective Surgery Restart
- In just two weeks, deployed a COVID-19 elective surgery impact analysis application.
- Data-driven recovery plan with integrated clinical, financial, and operational data and analytics.
- Hundreds of hours of manual data aggregation and reporting avoided.
COVID-19 Dashboard Enables Effective Incident Command
- Seven days to develop a COVID-19 dashboard that integrates more than 60 critical metrics.
- Hundreds of hours of burdensome manual data aggregation and reporting avoided, improving the quality and timeliness of the organization to plan and respond to COVID-19.
- An integrated view of data for a health system composed of more than five hospitals and hundreds of clinics spread across more than 45 different locations, enabling effective incident management.
Rapid Response Analytics Improves COVID-19 Incident Management Effectiveness
- In just 15 minutes, developed COVID-19 registry that can be quickly updated based on the most recent evidence.
- In just 30 minutes, developed and implemented a COVID-19 analytics application.
- An integrated view of data, enabling effective incident management.